

**VILLAGE OF PLEASANT PRAIRIE  
PARK COMMISSION  
Village Hall Auditorium  
9915 39<sup>th</sup> Avenue  
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin 53158  
January 5, 2011  
6:00 p.m.**

A regular meeting of the Pleasant Prairie Park Commission was held on Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 6:00 p.m. Present were Michealene Day, Rita Christiansen, Glenn Christiansen, Monica Yuhas, Troy Holm, William Mills, Jim Bandura (Alternate #2) and Cindy Schwab (Alternate #1). Steve Kundert was absent. Also present were Michael Pollocoff, Village Administrator; Tom Shircel, Assistant to the Village Administrator; John Steinbrink, Jr., Director of Public Works; and Ruth Mack-Stoner, Executive Secretary. Four citizens were present.

- 1. CALL TO ORDER**
- 2. ROLL CALL**
- 3. CONSIDER AND APPROVE THE NOVEMBER 10, 2010 PARK COMMISSION MEETING MINUTES**

**Rita Christiansen moved to approve the Park Commission Meeting minutes of the November 10, 2010 meeting presented in their written form: Seconded by Troy Holm. Motion carried 6-0.**

**4. CITIZEN COMMENTS**

Michealene Day:

At this time is there anyone from the audience that would like to speak to the Commissioners?

**5. NEW BUSINESS**

- a) **Discuss and approve Eagle Scout Project in Sorensen Woods at Kildeer Farm.**

John Steinbrink, Jr.:

Madam Chair and Park Commission, Village staff was approached about a month ago from Jake Hooper who is working towards his Eagle Scout Badge. And he had talked to me a little bit about doing some work with the Sorensen land donation at Kildeer Farm. I

told him to really kick start the project it's recommended to go before the Park Commission and get some recommendation or guidance on this project. So he is in the audience today, and I believe that he's prepared to do a little presentation on what his project is. Then I would encourage the Commission to give any sort of input that would be appropriate for him. If I can call Jake up at this time, he wants to talk about his project.

Jake Hooper:

This is some research I did on the land out here. I was curious to know about maybe possible trail names to find some sort of a background or a history. If you scroll down the research is pretty extensive. I looked into Manpower and I got around 200 people that I could use to get this done. I figure I could get it done in maybe two or three weekend's time. It depends how many people I have. I'm in the KMA, Kenosha Military Academy. There's about 160 of us and most of them would be willing to help out.

Equipment: I was hoping I'd be able to use an ATV out on the property. I'm not too positive if that's okay. But if not, I looked at the possible tools. Maybe we can get it from other people, kind of bring our own stuff. I was going to ask if we could get some funding from the Village. I didn't know if that was possible. Otherwise I can have a fundraising from selling candy bars, bake sales and possible a spaghetti dinner night as we've done in the past.

Materials: I looked at building trail signs and putting maybe three or four of them in the middle so that way when people are walking they can't get lost. It will say they're here type thing, so a map of the trails that are laid out on the property. Other ideas if you wanted could be a wood post or a metal stake and then maybe print out a page and laminate it and put it on the board. Or, if you wanted it kind of gouged into a piece of plywood and then painted.

There are some water runoffs in there, too. I didn't now if I would be able to build bridges for that. I put a basic idea of the land out there; the other areas are just rough sketches. I went back there and found some trails that were kind of cut out but pretty overgrown. And I was also looking at parking. The parking area in the front may afford eight cars because there's no parking on the side of the highway, and the nearest one over by the subdivision that's 50 yards away. And maybe a culvert can be put in over the ditch. The water runoff kind of goes all the way back. That's just what I found so far when I've been back there. But then I have to build maybe one or two bridges and that's over the wetlands. This was just something that me and Mr. Steinbrink, Jr. went over for an idea. It would be concrete foundation and laying six by sixes across and making two by six planks for around. That's something that should be done if I get the funding for that possibly. But seeking funding from the Village is also something that I would like to see if that can happen.

Michealene Day:

Do you have any ideas of costs yet, what kind of funding or dollar amounts you'd be thinking of needing?

Jake Hooper:

I looked into like the wood and it was averaging around \$10 to \$12 for a six by six. It also depends on how long I'd need those if I'd need to put the bridges in. Or, if I don't have to put the bridges in that will cut costs by almost 50 percent. Then I'm looking at putting the trail maps in. If you want a sign out front saying that's a public property I would think it would be something to do, but I'm not too sure if that's something that you guys would want or that's something that would be later put in.

Michealene Day:

I don't want to monopolize the questions here. Does anyone else have some questions for Jake?

Rita Christiansen:

I have a question for John or Mike, and then I have a question for Jake, too. So as far as this land we just received the donation. And was there any decision on the planned use of this land?

Mike Pollocoff:

It hasn't been planned. We have a neighborhood park in that area. And we had hoped to get the woods in there, but as far as the level of planning like you would have seen in the Master Park Plan that hasn't been done yet.

Rita Christiansen:

So to assist Jake with his project and make sure he's successful, cleaning brush, if I understand correctly, Jake, you want to put a trail in there, possibly a bridge, is that what you're looking at with signage? So is there a possibility or opportunity here to assist him to meet that goal by allowing him to clean brush and some kind of a trail until we get something official put in place? Or, what would you suggest?

Mike Pollocoff:

The things we could do to help Jake is, there's a number of things, because it sounds like he wants to do as much as he can to help us. Maybe John and Jean can work up a

specific park plan for this area here so we've got something we can work with and give to him so he's got some guidance on where the trails should go. Then we would be able to answer those questions as to if a bridge is needed or what type. From that point, we could look at what kind of level of financial assistance the Village would be willing to or we could provide to him once we know what the materials are and what we need to do.

Rita Christiansen:

So, Jake, if you only completed say the parking, for instance, in the first quarter, would that meet your need to get your Eagle Scout? Or, do you have to do the whole thing?

Jake Hooper:

I think I'd have to do the whole thing just because it's supposed to be a major project, not something just putting a parking lot in. They're pretty picky about what we do. I have to send my papers in to get approval, but I was kind of waiting to do that so I can get a full write up and explain everything step by step what to do.

Mike Pollocoff:

I can tell you right now one of the things from a planning perspective, Jake, we'd want that parking lot to be to the south of the woods. We wouldn't want to use up any of the wooded land for parking. So we could identify that as a future parking site, and until that land was acquired by the Village, which we've been in discussion with Millhollands, we probably will acquire that. But until then it would be a trail that people would have to hike over to get to it until that's done. Otherwise you have to clear a lot more trees probably than anybody wants to clear to put the parking in. And that's going to be more so than the bridges that would be your biggest ticket to get the parking in.

Michealene Day:

The parking lot.

Mike Pollocoff:

So that would help keep the cost down. But as part of the plan if we identify where that parking would be maybe there would be two accesses into the trail, one right off of the street and then another one off the new parking lot where that is. We could give you that location to help plan the trails.

Rita Christiansen:

So, Mike, if I hear you correctly the next step for Jake would be to talk to Jean Werbie and the Village, John, etc. to try and more formalize this proposal. And then come to

some type of agreement and bring it back to us or just move forward?

Michealene Day:

Just move forward?

Mike Pollocoff:

John and Jean would bring back the conceptual plan for the park, how we want that to lay out. If you guys approve it then Jake I think at that point what he's got approvable and he'd be able to put his materials together and be on his way.

Rita Christiansen:

Okay, alright. Would that work for you, Jake?

Jake Hooper:

Yes.

Michealene Day:

Any other questions?

Glenn Christiansen:

I have a couple of questions. Years back I don't know if this wood lot was looked at by SEWRPC. I know that they covered this corner of the State pretty extensively looking for old wood lots and old plant communities and so forth to survey. And they may or may not have seen this one. I don't know if it was surveyed or not. So whether we know what's in this wood lot is a good question. What kind of a time frame are you looking at in completing this project?

Jake Hooper:

I was looking at doing it in the spring when we have warmer temperatures and no snow. But trail wise I'm sure I can get that done in three weekends. That's not working during the week. But it also depends on what the sergeants allow me to do as far as using volunteers from KMA.

Glenn Christiansen:

Perhaps Jean Werbie would be able to find out if SEWRPC had surveyed the woods or not. It would be kind of a shame to cause any unnecessary disturbance if SEWRPC had

surveyed the woods and there was any let's say interesting or significant plant community in the woods. So if there is a trail system in there of some kind at present it would be best to try and keep the trails that are in there and not add any new trails if they're not necessary. That would be my suggestion, try and not add anything. If it had been surveyed it may be nice to know that. That would be a suggestion anyhow of possibly looking to try to identify some things as part of the project. Maybe try and identify some of the trees and learn something about the plant and tree community in the woods. Sometimes people overlook the habitat. That would be my suggestion.

Michealene Day:

Monica or Bill?

Monica Yuhas:

I don't think we would need signage because eventually the Village is going to put up a monument or something out there to designate Sorensen Woods, correct?

Mike Pollocoff:

Yes. And actually this gift of land from Sorensen's Woods is part of the future Kildeer Park. So I think as part of the planning process we'd identify where the sign locations and entrance points are going to be.

Monica Yuhas:

So, Jacob you don't need signage for into the park. You don't need a culvert for parking because that would be done at a future date. So the price is coming down. So we're looking at building the bridge and clearing for trails. The use of an ATV is that allowable on the property?

Mike Pollocoff:

Sure, that's fine. And I think as far as Commissioner Christiansen's comments we can ask Don Reed if he has someone out to take a quick look at, describe the project, and see if he has any areas where there's issues. It's a secondary environmental corridor. It's not a primary, but if there's something in there he would point that out to us.

Rita Christiansen:

Jake, did you find out anything when you did your research about the land itself as far as the history?

Jake Hooper:

I didn't really find much. It was kind of just talking about Pleasant Prairie in general, the entire area. But I couldn't find a fixed location. Most of it is just down by the lake and the beaches.

Rita Christiansen:

Okay, good to know.

Glenn Christiansen:

Jean might be able to find out. I think she once had a map that might identify if it's close to or could possibly contain any archeological sites. That might be something to look into also.

Michealene Day:

Troy, did you have any questions?

Troy Holm:

No, I don't.

Michealene Day:

Bill?

William Mills:

The only question or maybe suggestion is just based off of past Eagle Scout projects that we've had if I remember correctly is that I believe in the past we've had where there was actually some research done about the history of the property. And so in terms of the trail heads to have names for some of those trail heads as well was a previous Eagle Scout project. So in terms of defining the trails and having some of the signage, actually going back and taking a look at the history of the land and coming up with suggestions for names for the trails.

Mike Pollocoff:

We can point you in the direction of some resources where you could find that.

Michealene Day:

Well, Jake, I think that the Commission here is very impressed with your plans and your

desire to improve the land and make it possible for others to enjoy it. I think that preliminarily we all agree that this would be a great project, and we look forward with you working with Jean and Mr. Steinbrink to bring it back to us with what it's actually going to look like after you guys talk about it.

Jake Hooper:

Thank you.

Rita Christiansen:

Thanks for bringing it to us.

William Mills:

Thank you.

Michealene Day:

Thank you very much. Good luck. Any other new business? Any comments?

## **6. ADJOURNMENT**

**Monica Yuhás moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Rita Christiansen. Motion carried 6-0.**

Meeting adjourned 6:25 p.m.